Far out, I might have made a mistake: I cancelled my radio show earlier tonight because I received a voice message in the middle of the second song.
This is a transcription of an English voice who translated a Spanish voice message.
“The Chinese now understand behavior of the Covid-19 virus thanks to autopsies that they have carried out. This virus is characterized by obstructed respiratory pathways with thick mucus that solidifies and blocks the airways and lungs. So they have discovered that in order to able to apply the medicine, you have to open and unblock these airways so the treatment can be used to take effect.
However, all of this takes a number of days.
Their recommendations for what you can do to safeguard yourself are:
- Drink lots of HOT liquids – coffees, soups, teas, warm water. In addition take a sip of warm water every 20 minutes because this keeps your mouth moist, and washes any of the virus that has entered your mouth into your stomach where the gastric juices will neutralize it before it can get to the lungs.
- Gargle with an antiseptic in warm water – like vinegar, or salt, or lemon – every day if possible.
- The virus attaches itself to hair and clothes. Any detergent or soap kills it, but you must take a bath or a shower when you get in from the street. Avoid sitting down anywhere and go straight to the bathroom or shower. If you cannot wash your clothes daily, hang them in direct sunlight which also neutralized the virus.
- Wash metallic surfaces very carefully because the virus can remain viable on these for up to 9 days. Take note and be vigiliant about touching hand-rails and door-handles, etc. I guess within your own house as well you are keeping those areas clean and wiping them down regularly.
- ** Don’t smoke **.
- Wash your hands every 20 minutes using any soap that foams. Do this for 20 seconds, and wash your hands thoroughly.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. Try to elevate your Zinc levels, not just your Vitamin C levels.
- Animals do not spread the virus to people. It’s person to person transmission.
- Try to avoid getting the common flu. I guess this because just weakens your system. And try to avoid eating and drinking cold things.
- If you feel any discomfort in your throat or a sore throat coming on, attack it immediately using the above methods.The virus enters the system this way and remains for 3 or 4 days within the throat before it passes into the lungs.”
I found this quite disturbing and worrying, consequently overreacted when my anxiety shot through the roof. I am not blaming this friend, but oh my, perfect timing!
But why would I cancel my radio show over this?
Primarily because I haven’t felt well all day. But it’s not what you are thinking. We had our rental-inspection mid last week, so today I had to more thoroughly cleanse our house (cobwebs on all window sills, that gunge that catches in hinge of shower cubicle, and some awful stuff under washing machine!), plus I haven’t been sleeping properly. I have had high anxiety from having to deal with multiple issues in my life, so my body hasn’t had adequate time to repair itself. So I decided to keep my flu-like symptoms away from the station and focus on family and photography. I should be back on air next week.
Breathe out, breathe in. Stop panicking Stephen, you’re overthinking again. But hey 2020, you can go home now. 2021 is ready to start tomorrow, and has sherbet fizz for everyone. (Anyone who has tried inhaling one of those will understand!)
Tonight (instead of having my radio show) I have spent my evening researching Covid-19 whilst enjoying a Corona beer!
First I wanted to determine why a Spaniard would feel the need to tell us this.
When I find this article discussing how fast the Coronavirus virus infiltrated Spain, it made sense. It hit them hard and fast. So they really want the rest of the world to be prepared and able to fight back fast. For this I say Thank you!
There are sites telling us not to panic so much, live updates, high risk complications, smarter people tracing the origins and mutations, plus the economic road to recovery, and importantly people who draw jokes that go viral – to help us smile – because it is said that smile can cure almost anything. Almost.
I am glad I took a break to write my first blog article in over a year.